Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Brewery Tour: Lakefront Brewery

So, I just had a very long week last go around and never got a chance to post this, but I had to let you know about this and another tour I took with Coren (to follow later today). Lakefront brewery has been doing the craft beer thing since 1987, which predates my personal favorite brewery, Schlafly. I had been told by a great deal of folks that this was a tour that you just have to take, and with a rating of the 4th best tour in the country, how could I possibly resist.

If you get an early tour, which I have got to suggest as the best possible time, you get a coupon to get a beer at a local retailer after the tour is done (free beer rules!). All the tours get you the following: a pint glass, 4 samples of approximately 6 ounces (you can buy full pints before and after the tour, however), and a wonderful walk through the brewery.

I was a bit skeptical about a tour starting before noon being as fun as this was claimed to be, but I was proven wrong in the most delightful ways. For starters, the people giving the tours really do love their work, which is always a big plus for me. I don't care if they don't know much about brewing science, but I sure as hell want some energy! Well, we got that in spades. Our tour guide was one of their sales/marketing people, and she knows how to do it right.

As you walk through the building, you are getting the basic things you get with any brewery tour: this is a mash tun, that is a liquor tank, here is a lauter tun, etc. What made this tour different was the theatrics. We had a number of points where we were quized by the tour guide, with correct responses earning more free beer (yes, I did win a question). There were also times where we were given some neat insights into the world of Lakefront, including the legendary oversized mug of beer with the logo on it from a certain sporting venue. I especially liked how the audience was asked to participate, from naming one person the "hop princess," to having the group sing-a-long with the theme song to Laverne & Shirley as the actual bottling line from the show displayed its prowess.

If you have the time to be in Milwaukee and enjoy good craft beer, get yourself to Lakefront and take this tour. This was a total blast!

As always, drink well and be merry. Slainte!

No comments:

Post a Comment