Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Homebrewing Club

So, I have been kicking this idea around for a while, and I think I'm ready to go full steam ahead finally. At this point, I'm looking to get about 10 people together and have our first "meeting" on Saturday November 3, 2012. Why that day? That is Learn to Homebrew Day, so it only seems like a good day to do it.

As of right now, I'm liking the idea of having a few different backgrounds represented, especially craft beer consumption backgrounds. I'm not going to say no to someone that considers the best beer one of the Big 3, but I'd like them to also want to learn more about beer as a whole and even want to try different kinds. The old adage from growing up rings true: I may not like it now, but I may like it when I'm older.

Consider this my open invitation to friends in the area that want to join a low-key homebrewing club that will look to meet roughly once a month and brew a different batch of beer each time. Of course, part of brewing beer is also enjoying beer, so we will be experimenting with some different kinds that everyone brings (I'd prefer it not being of the Big 3).

A typical meeting will be establishing who is the brewmaster for the day (gives everyone a chance to run the gambit, but allowing them to have extra brewers around for input and insights), brewing a batch, taste testing about 5-6 different beers (2 ounces per sample, to avoid angry significant others), and hopefully collectively learning more about this ancient beverage.

We may explore some time in the future if we want to establish this in a more formal club with officers, minutes, competitions inside & outside the club, etc. We can even consider entering someone into the Great American Beer Festival Pro-Am competition and get some recognition for the brewer, brewery, and our club.

That is all a seriously long way off, so let's focus on the immediate. About 10 people that want to learn about brewing, make some beer, drink some beer, and have a damn fun time. If you are interested, feel free to shoot me a message as a comment here or via your favorite brand of social media.

As always, drink well and be merry. Slainte!

No comments:

Post a Comment